Olympique Lyon president proud of Benzema’s victory
Karim Benzema’s victory in the France Footbal poll fills not only Real Madrid officials with pride, but also his former club, Olympique Lyon. The president of Les Gones commented on the triumph of the 34-year-old in the pages of the daily L’Equipe.
- Karim Benzema became the first triumph in the France Football poll since 1998
- The Real Madrid striker was voted the best player in the world, ahead of Sadio Mane and Kevin de Bruyne
- Proud of the Frenchman’s victory was the president of his former club, Olympique Lyon
All of France proud of Benzema’s victory
Even before the France Footbal gala, there was no doubt that the Golden Ball would go to Karim Benzema. The Real Madrid striker left behind strong competitors and became the first Frenchman to lift the prestigious award since 1998. Pride in the 34-year-old’s achievement was evident in the eyes of Florentino Perez, who brought Benzema from Olympique Lyon in 2009.
Olympique Lyon president Jean Michel-Aulas also did not hide his joy at the success of the Kings’ striker. He stressed in an interview with L’Equipe journalists that this is to some extent also the success of Les Gones’ nursery, from which Benzema originated.
– This is a source of great pride and excitement, because Karim is, after all, an Olympique Lyon kid. We’ve seen him grow up and develop as a soccer player. We have watched him achieve success in almost every area of soccer. And, as it was with us that he signed his first professional contract, it fills us with pride,” said the Lyon club president.
– This is a beautiful story of a young striker who, as the son of immigrants, has excelled in France. In addition to his football life, he has been successful in his private life and can serve as a role model for young people. They look at him and see how much he has achieved. It makes them want to be like him,” he added.